Tuesday, August 22, 2006

I want My OutKast Back.

TwitThis


I remember when Sway told me that there are these two cats from Atlanta that were dope.

I was like, them dudes rappin' in the pool hall in they video.
(I had a self admitted East Coast Bias back then).

He was like, yeah, OutKast.

I responded, they cool. Its catchy, but I couldn't see myself bumping it in my walkman.

Then the album came out.

Get Up and Git Out was some righteous upliftment.


Crumblin' Erb was some mellow get right music.


Then there came Hootie Hoo and I figgered, aight, these nigg*s is cool.

Fast foward. Two years later, I was messing with this cat that went to Hampton. Mike C.

Mike rocked for OutKast. That was the only group he talked about on our winter break. OutKast this, Dungeon Family that.

So, I was compelled to get Atliens when it came out.


So when Atliens came out I was open.


How could you not be sprung off a group who starts off a song with,


I came into this world high as a bird.


Wait. Did he just say that?

He show inthef*ck did.

I came into this world high as a bird
From second hand cocain powder

i know it sounds absurd
I never tooted but its in my veins
While the rest of the country bungies off bridges
Without no snap back
and bitches they say they need that
To shake they fannies in the ass clubs
they go the other route turn each other out burn each other out
where a bonified nigga like me
can't even get no back rub these days
ain't that bleak on they part
but let me hold it down
cause they shut you down when you speak from your heart
now that's hard
while we rantin and ravin bout gats nigga they made them gats they got some shit that'll blow out our backs from where they stay at

So. Post Atliens, I came to adore 'Kast so much that I endured a night at the Tunnel, just to be able to see them for free.


Trust me.

The Tunnel is not a place for the faint of heart. You got BK, Queens, Uptown, and all kinda kids rockin' there. And the place is huge and cavernous. In fact it reminded me of an airplane hangar.

Which brings us to 2006 and Idlewilde.

I miss Atliens Outkast.

Is it fair to want 'Kast to be same cats that spit the same jawn over and over again.

No. People change and circumstances change.

If an emcee or any artist for that matter creates something that gives relevance to our lives, then it is reasonable to want that same type of interaction with the product from that artist. However. Artist, like the rest of us are human. Life changes and music changes.

I have not heard Idlewilde in its entireity.


I don't think that it is going to touch or move me the way that Atliens did.
I have heard a couple of singles and they have been ai'ght. But nothing that made me go OOOOOOH SH*T thats tight.

I feel like a lost a friend a 'lil bit.



As a group I would imagine that it is difficult for them to be the conduit through which people interpert both goings on of the hood and the world at large. Idlewilde is ambitious. Lots of instruments, lots of jambalya, Color Purple type. It ain't Atliens.

Its their current state and as fan's we have to be present with that.

24 comments:

Xave said...

Hummmmmm... Very good review. honest, personal, blunt yet balanced. I wonder...

Supa said...

you gots to get up get out and get somethin'/don't let the days of yo life pass by....

I feel you, MM. (sigh) But I embrace Outkast-es continued evolution. Nice to see black boys get they grown man on...

And no doubt I'll probably go peep this Idlewild shits. ANYTHING to sear Miami Vice outta my memory.

Dangerfield said...

Hot post Mrs. Fierce I have never really listened to Outkast but I do recognize the fact that they are true artist.

Like you said after artist have been around they loose a little something, get better drugs, start dating exotic models, and want to show that they are true artist with Orchestra's and that type of stuff. But also like Riddick Bowe said " Its hard to get up in the morning and go jogging when your sleeping on satin sheets", part of what makes artist relevant and powerful when they first come out is hunger literally and symbolically.

Its hard to keep getting hungry when after you record hot shit your going to a 5 star resturaunt for steak in mushrooms and wine sauce.

M.Dot. said...

@Zay,

honest, personal, blunt yet balanced...
___________________
Thank you for peeping that Zay because I really struggled with being honest but not coming across as an angry "I wish it was '89" type.

You know.

M.Dot. said...

Hey Supa,

You right bout them grownin' up.

But them lyrics from Atliens.

Sh*t just sits in my soul.

M.Dot. said...

Its so funny that you talk about the hunger mark.

E-40 said that in order to stay relevent you have to be hungry an humble.

That is a fascination almost impossible combination to maintain in a culture that places the visual and artist on a pedalstal.

A culture that claps for you and resents you all in the same breath.

Anyhoo.

Amadeo said...

I always thought (an tell my clients today) when Outkast came out they were the most lyrical and best offering from the south. They aren't what they used to be, but I'll keep checking in on them. I do like that though they were working different angles, they made a double disc and let each do their thing.

The Minority Reporter said...

Yes, I remember the days when Elevators, Return of the G, Spottieottiedopaliscious and Liberation were on constant repeat...oh wait those are on my on-the-go playlist.

I think Idlewild is pretty decent, it even gave me a word of the day in Chronomentrophobia.

Xave said...

I was wondering if you'd be interested in reviewing a book? :-)

M.Dot. said...

Hi Amadeo,

I am glad you popped through.

You have to like your artists through thick and thin.

M.Dot. said...

Zay,

Whose book?

Your libro?

Claro que si!!!!

M.Dot. said...

HHsince 81

I am glad you back.

Where you been?

I need to get idlewilde.

I guess this post was my lament.

Xave said...

Perceptive AND sexy is an unbeatable combination. ;-) And you agree to review my book! That makes my day. Drop me an email (xavierpjr@gmail.com) and I’ll reply with a PDF of Lover’s Anonymous.

Xave said...

I misspelled the title of my own book! How embarrassing is that? The correct title is "Lovers Anonymous"

neo said...

I do believe as fans we MUST allow our fav artists to grow. I think this is how and why some artists fall off 'cos fans want them to be a certain way throughout their careers, some do that and end up being stale others try to push the creative envelope and get scolded for it (see: Common's electric circus album).

If that's what's happening to 'Kast then so be it. May be tough 'cos you go back to those albums and like maaaaaan..what happened? But there's beauty in the present, change is always good, isn't that what we say?

M.Dot. said...

@ sistagurrlll

you back you back.

Two visits in the same month:)

M.Dot. said...

@ Zay,

Thank you for the complement.

I e-blushed.

Er.

I have spotty innernet connection, as I just moved.

Hence why I have not gotten back to you.

Send me your jawn @ readingiswhite@yahoo.com.

School just started for me, so I may need a week or so to read it and give you notes.

Have a good weekend.

M.Dot. said...

Neo neo o beo.

Hey dude.

I don't deal with change well.

I am learning.

You know, to be more Zen and all that sh*t.

So yes.

I wax nostalgic.

I miss my 'Kast.

The Minority Reporter said...

Did you check out the movie (Idlewild)?

I thought it was good...a lil slow at the beginning but eventually proving itself to be worth the $7 (minus the drink and popcorn)

M.Dot. said...

No.

I have not seen the movie yet.

I want to see it and listen to the soundtrack, all in the same night.

Anonymous said...

M Jeezy,
this is one of the tightest posts that I can remember reading on your page because its filled with some serious emo and not just a rant where you copy other people's thoughts -- no disrespect to any of that but I dig your voice here.

See you at Freedom in a couple of weeks - Tribeca Cinemas

M.Dot. said...

but how y'all feel 'bout the ying-yang-young dro/joc-ific8ion of the so-called rap
------------------------

J.

Thats just corporation doing what they do best. NOthing more. Nothing less.

That music has very little to do with what is in the best interest of the people.

Its in the best interest of fun and partying, but not the best interest of the people.

neo said...

I just wonder what will happen next. I hope they don't break up but if they do...Lord knows I enjoyed the heck outta them dudes..to say the least.

M.Dot. said...

They ain't gonna break up.

Big Boi said he a produce dre's album if need be.

Post a Comment

eXTReMe Tracker