Sunday, January 06, 2008

Kennedy was as Real as 'Pac: Bobby Kennedy Part II

TwitThis



I am naming my son Bobby Kennedy.

I have always had a fascination with '68 but
something has brought it to the surface again.

My new found interest stems from learning, courtesy
of BMC, that the seeds of disrespect for life circa the '88 crack era
were sewn in the disrespect for life during the '68
era.
'68, the era of protests, national guard shooting to kill,
urban riots, King/Kennedy assassination era.

In the movie Bobby, they used footage of his actual historical
speeches in the film.

This man was so sincere, warm and compelling, I was floored.

Birkhold put it lovely when he said that Kennedy
spoke the truest sh*t, just like 'Pac.



Here was a dude, from MONEY, but totally rode
for the impoverished. I mean, who in our current political
arena could conceivably TRY and come close
?

What was so moving about just seeing him
on a old crusty video was that his sincerity was so compelling.
This sincerity jumped off the screen.

I mentioned my new fascination with him to my dad,
asking, "Where is the Bobby Kennedy?" He responded saying,
that "they only come once a lifetime."

Sensing my disappointment, he caught himself, saying,
"that there was one probably being made right now."

I couldn't help but feel let down by his response.

At the end of the day, like 'Pac, its great to know that he even lived
for the short time that he did.

=======
=======

What do you know about Bobby Kennedy? '68?

Why doesn't anyone make the connection
between
'68 and '88?

Do you agree that there is in fact a connection?

======
======

9 comments:

The Minority Reporter said...

My favorite teacher...who is also from Cali hipped me to Senor Bobby K in our grassroots organizing (Labor Unions)lesson. Peep out his work with Cesar Chavez and the grape strike in Cali in the 60s
http://www.pbs.org/itvs/fightfields/cesarchavez1.html

Anonymous said...

I remember that night when Bobby was shot. He'd just claimed victory in California's primary election and Sirhan Sirhan's bullets changed this incredible jubilation to tragedy and foreboding gloom. Whether one supported Bobby or not, one knew the world had changed again that night and this was the end of Camelot.

changeseeker said...

I was a young adult when Bobby was murdered, but this was just before I broke loose, got out of the clubs and went politico, so I didn't have a clue who he really was. I cried through the whole last ten minutes of "Bobby" (the movie) and all the way out to my car in the parking lot, where I broke down completely for a while. I had no idea what we had and what we lost. I can't even imagine anybody now living who could do what the old film clips in the movie showed him doing and it breaks my heart. What a shame. Needless to say, I now own the DVD of the movie, but I can't bring myself to watch it because I know it will bring up my disappointment with the current situation again.

Model Minority said...

I cried through the whole last ten minutes of "Bobby" (the movie) and all the way out to my car in the parking lot, where I broke down completely for a while. I had no idea what we had and what we lost.
======

I feel you. Bobby Kennedy Smith!

jpollard said...

The most interesting thing about Bobby Kennedy is that he went from being a man who was a member of HUAC and a person who was not very invested in the civil rights movement when he was attorney general to a man who became a great humanitarian and visionary. His transformation is an inspiration to people around the world.

Hey Neen - how are you doing? Me and Nic are cool we haven't set a date yet for the wedding, but I did get her a dog. :-) Everything is the same ole, same ole in the NYC. Stay up homie.

Model Minority said...

JASE.

I love you blood.

Our kickin'it goes so howrd.

You been on my byrd for the last week.

Glad to hear that you and wifey still got it crackin'. Black Love Rocks!

Kid Che said...

Bobby Kennedy's rhetoric was great and all... but when he was Attorney General, He and J. Edgar Hoover were openly antagonistic of the civil rights movement. Authorizing CIA and FBI tracking of MLK and the SCLC. (All out in the open now)

I see the continuation of white supremacy, covered up by the idealistic, attempted martyrdom of a flawed man. Can a man say one thing and act another way?

M.Dot. said...

He and J. Edgar Hoover were openly antagonistic of the civil rights movement. Authorizing CIA and FBI tracking of MLK and the SCLC. (All out in the open now)

I see the continuation of white supremacy, covered up by the idealistic, attempted martyrdom of a flawed man. Can a man say one thing and act another way?
========

Yeah man.

Real talk. Real talk.

People are complex. Especially the most fascinating ones.

I mean Pac...Ya boy had dear momma AND some of the most misogynistic rap to come out his lips...but then again don't all people.
And then w/ Bobby, can I argue that even w/ his Hoover-ism's didn't he STILL come with it regarding cash poor folks in a way that no person has done since...I mean '68 was '68 for a reason.

Or are you not buying non of my bobby kennedy jackson love?

Kid Che said...

true that people are complex, especially in times of drastic change.

did he mastermind the FBI investigations into MLK's life? or was he just playing a role in a much larger oppressive system aka the federal government?

i can't say he's a hero of mine, but i can definitely respect his populist message.

Post a Comment

eXTReMe Tracker