Sunday, December 16, 2007

Are Black Bloggers Meaner than White Bloggers?

TwitThis

In last months Essence Nia, Gabby and Sanaa asked whether that
Black
Blog sites were meaner than the white bloggers.

Essence: How do you deal with the 24-hours-a-day gossip that comes out on the Internet?

Gabrielle
: Just last week somebody gave me a baby. This isn�t Perez Hilton or the White gossip people, these are women of color, specifically Black women who, for whatever reason, don�t like the company I keep.


Sanaa
: She's talking about the gossip sites.


Essence
: The blogs.

Sanaa: That are run by Black women.

Gabrielle: And now because everyone is clamoring for celebrity tidbits, the bigger gossip sites and even mainstream entities are picking up on it. No fact-checking, no nothing. And in one week�s time, there were like five different dudes, a baby—I�m a homewrecker. In literally seven days. I can�t point the finger at the White media. They don�t care about us. Paparazzi are not staked out in front of any of our houses. They are not going through our garbage because they don�t care about us in that way. So when you hear crap about us, it is coming from our own community, which hurts.

Nia: We are some of the few Black actresses whose passions are rooted in our community.

Gabrielle:
There is this idea that there is integrity in journalism; if it�s written it has to be true. But that�s not the case. When blogs or any of the magazines get it wrong, there's no accountability. In the next breath, they'll complain on the blogs that we don't have enough Black stars. Well, you rip us to shreds every two seconds from our nose to the weave to the clothes to the shoes to the ashy ankles.

Implicit in Gabby's rationale is that the Black bloggers should be nicer to
the Black women actors because we all share the same ethnicity.

Shock blogging sales ad space. The Black blogger's and the shock
writers know that. Bol,YBF, and for that matter Imus and Howard Stern
get this as well.

Fresh is a little different in that she won't hate on you just to do so.
You typically have to earn it, and I have found her writing about women's
bodies from size 4-14 to be body positive.

Ci Ci at Lenzizm speaks on this very issue when she says,
Hmm... my question is, who are these unnamed black female bloggers? I for one love Gabrielle. I am a black female blogger, and I don't recall ever saying anything bad about her or any of the other actresses being interviewed. But then, I am just a contributor, it is called "Lenzism" after all. And I got this excerpt from Essence.com, so that flies in the face of her theory about not having any sourcing. To be fair, some blogs do hate on her, but most of the "negativaty" is coming from Page Six or some other print gossip column. The black blogosphere is, however, burning up with negativity because of her comments
Thats not to say that I haven't been critical, as I know in my most recent post
I was criticizing he level of grease on the women in the Gucci Mane video.

But talking yack about someone's weave isn't isn't my shtick.


Here are MM we laugh, make fun, analyze. The whole 9.


We also own mirrors AND magnifying glasses. We use them too.

========
========

Do you think the Black Bloggers are meaner?

Are the artists just being sensitive?


========
========

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nah

Just realer

M.Dot. said...

Just realer.

=======
F*ck outta heeeeeaaaaa.

the prisoner's wife said...

i don't really think black bloggers are meaner, but the commenters...good lawd! lol. but seriously, i think that these women are generally overlooked by the white media, so when they (perhaps Gabby) are mentioned by us, they are surprised because they lend a critical eye. i find it funny they (esp Gabby, since she's talking so much) are sitting around reading the blogs anyway. she should be trying to get movies that don't include Morris Chestnut.

A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

well i work for perez hilton's tv show and he's the queen of mean, but i think the biggest issue is that bloggers are unnamed faces and not journalists who don't do interviews but still report. that can be challenging for celebs.

i'd love to get gabrielle to sit down with Perez so they can chat about the whole situation.

The Minority Reporter said...

Yeah I don't think they're meaner. It's funny cause my coworker and i link each other gossip stories...i get mine from YBF and she from P. Hilton sites...some of the ish be the same story but i get hella offended by her version...

Xave said...

I can't really comment cause I don't keep up with this. But... I havn't forgotten the valuable input you gave on Lovers Anonymous. Thank you.

Peace and Love,

Ali's Zay (LoversA.blogspot.com)

She Hate Me said...

I think that Black bloggers aren't meaner...

Like The Wife said, I think it's more of the commenter's responses than the bloggers.... Remember:

A normal person + Anonymity + Audience = Total Asshole


Just saying.

M.Dot. said...

A normal person + Anonymity + Audience = Total Asshole
=========
NICE.

***Wonders in head what you think of moi.

M.Dot. said...

Zaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

You came out the wood work.

Where you been?

How are things going?

I'm lame for not getting back to you
re the legal research for your book.

I am still interested in knowing how it progressed.

If you like, hit me up on m.dotwrites@gmail

M.Dot. said...

.some of the ish be the same story but i get hella offended by her version...
=======

REAALLLLLLY?

M.Dot. said...

Zay,


I just went to your blog.

I was instantly taken back to reading your manuscript.

You HAVE NO IDEA how transformative it is for me to read your blog now, and see how far along you have come in the last year.

In reading the posts, I remember reading your manuscript and I can IMAGINE how the final product has to be SO moving.

I don't know if you have been reading my blog lately, but I have been struggling with getting some projects off the ground.

You have reminded me that this is a marathon and not a sprint.
You have shown me what I needed.

Patience with myself.


Thank you Zay.

-m.

Xave said...

I'll be writing you soon to ask where I should send you a free copy of the book. It's the very least I can do. By the way, I'm still looking for representation ;-)

Peace and Love,

Ali's Zay (LoversA.blogspot.com)

Model Minority said...

Hahahahaha.


Zaaaaaay.

Are you serious?

Dude.

Omg.

Sooo much has popped off
for me since last year.
One door closes...


Thank you.

Lets connect.

Anonymous said...

But black folks are always mean..blogging only helps create an outlet for that...but the 'meanness' the way I understand it is out of love not really spite...but sometimes folk do take it a bit further than it is..

M.Dot. said...

ut the 'meanness' the way I understand it is out of love not really spite
========

Thats a good point.

Plus...I mean our legacy IS THE DOZENS.

We like to sit around and crack jokes.

It is what it is.

Post a Comment

eXTReMe Tracker