Friday, July 17, 2009

20 Questions Fridays {7.17.09}

TwitThis

1. Why do so many people say they hate feminism, yet they
can't define it?


2.
What would happen if Beyonce responded to Nia Long?

3. What if young people, in schools with high drop out rates,
had a powerful and collective voice regarding the future
directions
of their schools?

4. How much longer before California legalizes and taxes weed?

5. Why did it take Drake featuring White women and Latina's in
his video for Black women to get angry about a rap video?


6. Why the Washington Post charge $25K a head for an off the record,
non confrontational dinner promising health care industry lobbyist
access to
writers and politicians?

7. Why do we still act like and assume we live in a meritocracy
when the fact of the matter is that your parents power in society

determines much of your life such as health care, housing and
access to education?


8. Why does O Magazine write more off beat and interesting stories
about Black
women than Essence?

9.
Why would happen if we decriminalized hand to hand drug dealing?

10. What are we doing for Labor Day?


11.
Why is it hard to eat fried chicken in front of white people?

12. Why do people love waitresses and teachers?


13. Why is MAC eyeshadow so pretty?


14. Why do I get shook every time I get ready write a
social
critique of Black people, be the men, women, or Hip
Hop,
for the first time?


15. Why has it taken me so long to realize that I can only
tell who my allies are based on their actions, not their gender
or race?


17. Why do (some) white feminist think that recognizing sexism
is a political act?


18. Why can't I find my Buhloone Mindstate cd?


19. When will Black actresses start writing and producing their own films?


20. Why can't I order Trader Joes on the internet?


You know the deal.

I got questions.

You've got answers.

7 comments:

Vee (Scratch) said...

1. I've read a number of different definition from people of different socio-economic classes and race. I don't think the confusion starts or ends there but that may be a factor.

5. They was a reactionary uproar before. However the piece in Essence a while back was proactive, (I believe).

9. Since you're posting one of favorite images that tell a whole lot of early America in the 1900's you may be interested in this book: The Unauthorized Biography of Cocaine by Dominic Streatfeild. It really depends on what drugs you're talking about.

11. Not down South.

19. They have. Some times getting noticed or getting the word out is much difficult than creating the film.
Suzanne DePasse works primarily in Television does that count?

------------------
Whaddup!!

M.Dot. said...

Dang. You on me tonight ock. That's good money tho. I was recently reminded that I have a "strong personality." I don't see it per se, but its prolly true.

1. Why do so many people say they hate feminism, yet they
can't define it?
=====
If you don't think the confusion starts there, then where does it start. You mentioned before that you read bebe's Fem is for Errybody. Peep it again and let me know your thoughts on this question.
5. Why did it take Drake featuring White women and Latina's in
his video for Black women to get angry about a rap video?
====
What Essence piece? I don't peep it on the reg. I be reading my aunties subscript but she in Cali. So.....

9. Why would happen if we decriminalized hand to hand drug dealing?
====
One of your favorites. Eh.


11. Why is it hard to eat fried chicken in front of white people?
HHHAHAHHAHAHAHAH. You fucked me up/ that. I gotta pee.


19. When will Black actresses start writing and producing their own films?
====
Funny you say that.
I have had my bird focused, on creating promotion and distribution infrastructure that don't have SHIT to do/ w viacom or AD's in general. Feel me?

Vee (Scratch) said...

I'm cringing reading back my words-EDIT!!!

Essence had a couple of "Take Back the Music" articles a while back. I can't find anything about on Essence.com -HA (that's wrong)!! Google that phrase, some articles will come up.

13. I remember checking out Eve's Bayou and Daughters of the Dusk . . . sadly those films were not supported. Tim Reid and Tyler Perry are the only cats that I know of setting up a production facility.

M.Dot. said...

Don' trip re the edits.

MZ emails me AT LEAST once a week talking about, "you missed a typo."

Essence had a couple of "Take Back the Music" articles a while back. I can't find anything about on Essence.com -HA (that's wrong)!! Google that phrase, some articles will come up.
====
Oh yeah. Take back the music.
I feel that campaign. Having read this bell hooks, the music largely symbolizes how we feel about each other. It don't let cats off the HOOK don't get it twisted, but it does add another dimension.

13. I remember checking out Eve's Bayou and Daughters of the Dusk . . . sadly those films were not supported. Tim Reid and Tyler Perry are the only cats that I know of setting up a production facility.
=====
Oh yeah. I'm knowing.

In '10 I am launching a couple more sites, God willing, and one of them will have an independent Black artist promotional element.
I have collected hundreds of links. I just want to put people on, people who resist the dominant narrative.

Vee (Scratch) said...

Eventually I want to put out a site that document strictly positive inspiring stories . . . because people act like they do not know or they're just not aware. I'm just thinking about a format. I'm collecting stories, tidbit, news items, etc.

MissZ87 said...

#19. That is a very good question. I think it may be financial reasons or maybe as a collective put their money up to start something positive because I highly doubt it is because of lack of talent or material.
My ultimate question is why can't black women seem to band together and start a business? The black men have been doing it,(whether successfully or unsuccessfully) for some time now. At least the men try.

Model Minority said...

Hi Miss Z87,

I am going to have to push back and say, that statistically Black women are some of the most entrpreneurial women in the country.

It makes sense. Nursing and taking care of babies is honest, hard work, but damn if it ain't bone killing.

As a person who is thinking and writing like an organizer more and more each day, the material thing that we may want to do is ask them why it hasn't happened?

Nia Long had a point. And I am one for not begging to be included into anyones crew, and just started my own. However, the process of building a bass, and creating a mission, thats the nitty gritty.

Also, its important to keep in mind that the movie business requires uber upfront money, with a promise for residuals in the long run. This can be a tought sale.

I said, tough, NOT impossible.

I am glad you stopped by and commented.

Post a Comment

eXTReMe Tracker