Monday, April 16, 2007

My Duke/Imus Moment.

TwitThis



Last week.

Umi says, you gotta shine ya light.

In evidence class last week were discuss the rape shield laws.

Rule 412. Sex Offense Cases; Relevance of Alleged Victim's Past Sexual Behavior or Alleged Sexual Predisposition

(a) Evidence generally inadmissible.

The following evidence is not admissible in any civil or criminal proceeding involving alleged sexual misconduct except as provided in subdivisions (b) and (c):

(1) Evidence offered to prove that any alleged victim engaged in other sexual behavior.

(2) Evidence offered to prove any alleged victim's sexual predisposition.

Translation.

An alleged rape victims sexual history in a rape case is inadmissable.

The Duke case just came down last week, so my professor decided to use it as a "teaching moment".

One of my colleges says,

"Well can we offer into evidence the fact that she dressed like a prostitute [I paraphrase but this is the gist of his statement".

There were good hearted chuckles in the class as well as several FEMALE class mates looking around. Like. What? Did he just say that for real.

Personally.

I felt my HEART raise up in my throat and I KNEW that I had to say something.

I raised my hand.

She didn't call on me.

30 seconds later.

The moment passed.

She asked, "Did I see a hand raised in the back?"

Umi says, you gotta shine.

I did a two second debate in my head.

DID I wanna be the BLACK girl, talking about the Black girl topic?

NO.

But. My hands were sweaty so I said. Yes.

I raised my hand.

"In response to my collegue David's statement [class laughter] regarding
the admissability of the fact that the prostitute wore prostitute like clothing.
Him.
"Oh I was just kidding."

I didn't THINK to say it, but IT WAS THE IMUS defense in class.

White boys love to use it.

He said it. He meant it. He SHOULD have rode for his.

Have some integrity for christ sake.

But my mind was racing at the time, and I only realized it after class.

I responded.
I know, However, some things need to stated explicity.
One has to be very careful when making a statement regarding a womans clothing in relationship to rape, because it can lead to the very dangerous inference that how a woman dresses INVITES her to be raped.

A classmate that I have sat behind for 15 weeks turned around and mouthed thank you.

At first.

I was like "thats right".

But then I was like f*ck her.

I had to say what I needed to say, so it wasn't on MY HEART for the rest of the week.

I ain't your moral compass.

We all sat in the same class.

We ain't friends.

And I am the one that the courage to speak.


=======
=======

Like I say.

Umi Says. Make it crack.

I gots Zora on mines.

=======
=======

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had to say what I needed to say, so it wasn't on MY HEART for the rest of the week.

I ain't your moral compass.

We all sat in the same class.

We ain't friends.

And I am the one that the courage to speak.

===================

Wow. That's awesome.

Blackamazon said...

Me and you ...

We can be homies


FO LIFE

M.Dot. said...

@ BA
Gurllll....

We ARE homies fa life.

Like I said.

WHEN YOU HOPPIN ON THAT PLANE TO JFK?

In two weeks. mayne.

Its gonna be crack-a-lackin in this piece.

M.Dot. said...

@ Stephen.

=======

Im allready stalking you.

*wink*.

Blackamazon said...

Im in NY homie i though you knew

The Minority Reporter said...

and That's why i phucks wit cha

and YES I do have the Official Drought 3 nicka!

M.Dot. said...

@ BA....

My bad sis...

I thought you were Ms. Ahmad from 2830.

She in the Chi right now and I be dropping loud @ssed hints that she needs to come kicccccccckit.

Lets laink up...we could be furrreeennndddddssss..

Where you be @?

Uptown...downtown...Im mainly in Bk or below 14th.

Lol's.

M.Dot. said...

@ MR

Lemme hold that Official New OR-LEEEEANS burn.

<<<**Goes to e-mail...sees if you sent it....

The Minority Reporter said...

disc 2 is on the site i sent u last week...u still got it?

and how u gonna put me on blast like Ima Pirate of the Carribean?

M.Dot. said...

Oh.
Sh*t.

I think so.

Lemme check et.

Anonymous said...

this 'black girl moment' brought to you by Neen the Mean.

Bravo, chica. Talk that talk.

M.Dot. said...

Neen the Mean.
=====

Grooooaaaaalllllllll.

Unknown said...

That was a moment, alright. "Just kidding" my behind.

You painted that picture really nicely. Being the Black girl in the White class when they are speak almost like you're in the room. Been there...done that.

Gotta defend for the women...most times dudes don't ride for ya.

Then, gotta ride for being Black, too. That's the job, though.

Did your thing!

M.Dot. said...

You painted that picture really nicely.
==========

Girl.

You know its real when your palms are sweaty.

Nexgrl said...

I have been in that position before. Did all of those eyes turn your way when he made his statement?

It was so much easier once I transfered to an HBCU to continue my post graduate education.

M.Dot. said...

I have been in that position before. Did all of those eyes turn your way when he made his statement?
=======

Nope.

I get Ralph Ellisoned.
But you know they be peepin on the low.

Gurl.
Don't mention HBCU to me.

My auntie been saying Howard from day One.

CA said...

i lub you.

Supa said...

'Nuff said! Wha wha what. Sweaty palms or none, sometimes SOMEBODY gots to ride on fools. Much respect.

And you a fool for that icon pic. Love it.

M.Dot. said...

Hi chidi.

MUAH!

Gemini Time commin' up.

We lainking up?

M.Dot. said...

@ Supa

What up ma!

You a gem too so your burf day is crackin soon also.

Um.

My Avi is "outta pocket".

You know them cali girls be greazy!

neo said...

But you know some folk don't have the guts to say stuff if it were so shoot all of us woulda been revolutionaries in some way..it was a good thing you spoke up nonetheless. I can just imagine how dude was backtracking on his statement..

Post a Comment

eXTReMe Tracker