Monday, April 16, 2007

Why was Imus Allow to Remain on the Air for so long? Wonkette Speaks

TwitThis





Do the right thing.

4 Words.

So simple.

But not necessarily because it requires you to think of the impact that your words AND OR your silence has on others.

Do the Right Thing Brings me to Wonkette and how she along w/ the many other White people appeared on Imus despite what he said, because he helped her shine.


As the invites kept coming, I found myself succumbing to the clubhouse mentality that Imus both inspires and cultivates. Sure, I cringed at his and his crew's race-baiting (the Ray Nagin impersonations, the Obama jokes) and at the casual locker-room misogyny (Hillary Clinton's a "bitch," CNN news anchor Paula Zahn is a "wrinkled old prune"), but I told myself that going on the show meant something beyond inflating my precious ego. I wasn't alone. As Frank Rich noted a few years ago, "It's the only show ... that I've been on where you can actually talk in an informed way — not in sound bites." Yeah, what he said!
1. For the record, a reasonable person would infer that "casual locker room" placed infront of misogyny was intended to soften the crudeness of the term misogyny.

But It doesn't. It merely demonstrates what she thinks is acceptable language from a man that helps HER get cake.

I'm embarrassed to admit that it took Imus' saying something so devastatingly crass to make me realize that there just was no reason beyond ego to play along. I did the show almost solely to earn my media-elite merit badge. The sad truth is that unless you have a book to promote, there's often no other reason any writer or columnist has to do the show.
Girl. Don't be embarrased have some integrity.

And ask yourself.

What OTHER clubs am I a member of whose entrace price requires a jar of vaseline and extended periods where I suspend my integrity?

And here is where the gettin' gets good.

It's depressingly easy to find female journalists who will tolerate or ignore bigotry if it means getting into the boys' club someday. (If only I were the only one.)
This astute observation brings me to another questions.

At the end of the day do the Wonkettes of the world feel more kinship w/ the nappy headed ho's or the boys clubs of the world?


Based on her article and previous appearances. Her choice was clear.

Perhaps the future will tell us something different The Wonkettes will Do the Right Thing.

=====
=====

Blog fam.

I am clearly on a tear w/ this topic.

You know what it is.

Here @ MM, we talk about these topics all the time.

But now the rest of the world is yapping, so we have oodles of
good source material. NICE!

=======
=======

No comments:

Post a Comment

eXTReMe Tracker