Monday, July 20, 2009

Black Women x Art x Human

TwitThis


Via Afrocloud

I saw this video and thought about the ways in
which Black women, are not simply just allowed
to be in mainstream media. I mean be.

Be mommas, be human, be friends, be b-girls.

But it is up to us to create that space.

The time for begging to be recognized as a human
is over.

I am a person, regardless of whether you see me.

In fact, the more you try to render me invisible more
the present I feel.

Sometimes silence is the loudest.

Sometimes the only only way to see light
is in the dark.



I think the first time I met Amatus she was house-sitting
for Robert Guenevere Smith, way back in the day.
All I remember, was seeing lots of cherry oak. It was beautiful.
(Was the the first time I hung out in a brownstone?)

Her single is awesome and directed by another homie
from way back when. I discovered this video on a fluke
actually. Last month, Tchaiko sent a group email out, saying
"Yo, Dance Party
tomorrow night" and I was like I'm upstate,
I can't make it. Then I peeped a link to the video at the bottom of her
e-mail and instantly requested permission to post it.

Finding the two above videos reminded me of how we
have awesomeness
around us all the time.

It reminded me of how easy it is to believe the hype and get
caught up in the Matrix.

When I take a step back I see that we have so much potential
and that while this is certainly a tumultuous time, globally, it is
also a ripe time.

Yesterday, I was reminded recently of the importance of

publicly recognizing and celebrating relationships.

I just want to say, that I recognize you all.

The work you have done.

The work you are trying to do.

The work that you need one more grant to finish.

The work that you have done but are scared to show.

I recognize it.

I see you.

You ain't invisible to me.

Always,

~m.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Just an FYI
the 1st video ws directed by our sisterfriend, V Chip....

M.Dot. said...

Oh word?

Small world. We are all connected, no?

Sherisa of L'élephant Rose said...

My girl is in JJ vid.

Model Minority said...

ReallY,

I swear there is 2 degrees of speration.

Someone should do a web/negro genealogy chart.

Post a Comment

eXTReMe Tracker