Thursday, June 05, 2008

Keep the La in the Air

TwitThis



The post that got Gotty to take "notice" of me, and cross post,
was piece where I was talking about listening to The World is Yours
remix
and dancing around as I listened to it on repeat.

That post is so old that,
I think we were BOTH on Blogger then.

Well. I went out tonight. And man if the DJ ain't play that song.

My feet still hurt.

I was just lamping. Thinking about the person what I was
and the person that I have become. Just being reflective.
Content.

Then I heard the "WOUN, WOUN, WOUN Whose World
is This?"

I must have lost my NEGRO loving mind.

My only regret was that my folks Filth wasn't there to share in the irony
of hearing LA LA LA out loud in the spot.

We tried to go to the same spot on Monday, but his, ahem, shoe game
ain't hold us down. Lol's. (NYC has a crazy enforcement game on
shoe/hat rules).

Music is capable of making you feel that life is alright.
I knew that based on how The Change Band at Glide could
make tears well up. But tonight, I was certainly reminded
of the power of an amazing song.

Did I also tell yall that I hear Erykah's "I Choose Me", twice?
That was bugged.

"Had to babies different dudes/ for them both my love
was trueeeee/ This is my last interview/ Thats so me..."
It is SUCH as personal song for me. (She is so honest,
and because of it, she encouraged ME to be honest in my
writing). I felt elated and light weight violated for hearing
it OUTSIDE of my pod tonight.

However, it was really dope to see other folks react
to it in a positive way.

Black folks are call and response even when they
don't want to be.


What are you listening to? When was the last time you
were surprised to hear
a song in a particular place/setting?
Has music brought you closer to anyone lately?

7 comments:

the prisoner's wife said...

i've been listening to E. Badu "Soldier"

and Estelle, my this american life podcasts, & lots of other random things on shuffle

Nexgrl said...

M.Dot, I'm going to take you back. I've been listening to that man Double R a lot lately while riding public transportation(Richie Rich.)

A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

I'm bumping Santogold, Broken Social Scene and The Roots new joint.

Santogold is my truth right now, some black girl gone punk who can rap and sing.

Model Minority said...

i've been listening to E. Badu "Soldier"
=========

Yoooo.

You will never be the same when You sing..."This is my last interviewwwwwww at a club" ALONG with other people.

my this american life podcasts
=====
4 words
N
E
R
D.

Model Minority said...

I've been listening to that man Double R a lot lately while riding public transportation(Richie Rich.)
=========

Tre Hood. Thats your new effin name.

HELL NAW.

You see that Video I posted a couple of days ago that has Richie in it talking about Deep East Oakland on Mine?

Model Minority said...

Santogold is my truth right now, some black girl gone punk who can rap and sing.
======

Yeah. She rocks.

Was she in Black Lily last month?

Why isn't black lily national?

the prisoner's wife said...

m.dot,

if i am a nerd, then what are YOU? lol

don't front. Ira Glass is da bizness!

they need a "this american life" for negroes. hey! we need to work on that!

Post a Comment

eXTReMe Tracker