Thursday, August 03, 2006

I got 'cho back, You Best Getcha Front!

TwitThis


I have one of those brains that will think about something. Plan on doing it. Get distracted, file it away. Search for it again when I have more time.

For example a few months ago I remembered seeing someone use Amazon wish lists are used to fetter out “subversives”.

Peep how Lars Toomre explains how works. He says,

While subconsciously I had been aware of how much personal data is freely distributed as we go about our daily lives, this post was an eye-opener for how “an individual with access to the internet can still develop a fairly sophisticated profile of hundreds of thousands of U.S. citizens using free and publicly available resources.” The author, Tom Owad, then develops an example of how possible subversives can be identified using public baby names data, key phrases and books titles/subjects, the Amazon book wish list functionality, and the free Google Maps API. This example is truly impressive just for what Tom created as a demonstration.

Tonight, I found myself blogging and editing my book list so I decided to search the amazon list.

I cannot BELIVE WHAT I FOUND.

This dude searched and downloaded 15 thousand amazon wish lists.

He choose some right leaning books, some left leaning, and the bible.

He then:

-Sorted 10 of them using their ip addresses.

-Located their lat/alt coordinates.

-Then he yahoo mapped him.

The process is called datamining. Which is fitting.

I felt intrusive reading it.

One day you could be reading Orwell, next day you could wind up in Guantanamo.

But the truth is that all this info out and available to the public

Why didn’t I become an computer engineer again?


p.s.
In looking for a photo on spy's I came across. This. This company, which shall remain nameless because I want to keep my blog, is really protective about their brand. I can't believe these photos are up. Privacy is Officially deaded.

____________
____________

See yall didn't know m.dot could flip it on the techology side. That must be the silicon valley in me coming out, har har har.

This weekend was so dope. BL's family had a jump off at Bear Mountain, which is about 1 hour from NYC. Then he ran me around like a slave at Ikea and BJ's.

Long live the weekend warriors right. Oh. Please believe, renting a Ford Exlplorer rental for the weekend, is THAT SH-t. Who KNEW cars/suv's could be that much fun!?!?!?!


___________
___________

2 comments:

the prisoner's wife said...

they are only fun if you haven't been driving for a while.

everytime i visited Cali from NY i'd LOVE the freedom of my car. now...i'd much rather be able to jump on the train and sleep/read/zone out on my way to and from work.

M.Dot. said...

Nah man.

They fun.

We went to Bear Mountain.

Then IKEA And bj'S ON SUNDAY.

Ac going, zooming on the free way.

That ish felt good.

Post a Comment

eXTReMe Tracker